The Underestimated 20s

7:00 AM


As I scrolled Facebook I encountered a lot of posts about our 20s being the lazy years of life. I couldn't help but get annoyed at this generic stereotype, and at the fact that people were using this stereotype as an excuse to sit at home and do just that - be lazy. I immediately began thinking
of all of my friends, peers, and former classmates that are currently grinding it out - working multiple jobs, in school earning multiple degrees, interning in their dream field. Instead of living up to the stereotype of getting drunk every night, working in fast food, and ending back at home with their parents, a large number of my peers are carrying out their dreams. Photographers, musicians, athletes, bloggers, teachers, and many more professional careers.

Instead of putting these people down, blowing off their successes, or even being envious, I must say the only thing I feel is PROUD. It feels good to know that members of my generation are actually trying to accomplish something. For a while I was worried that my generation would only be good for trap music, disrespectful kids, and getting high. However, I've been pleasantly surprised to find that we are actually proving others wrong. In my opinion, the 20s are the prime time to jump start your dreams. You have energy, determination, time (moreso than when you start working a 9-5 to pay bills) and drive. While you can still be successful starting a business in your later years, it's just my personal opinion that your 20s are an ideal time to work on your aspirations and goals. It also gives you a longer time to enjoy doing what you love to do.

This got me thinking. A lot of people's successes are just brushed under the rug and go unnoticed. I think that we - in our 20s- need to congratulate and recognize those that are grinding. Sometimes it takes a little nudge from someone as to say "I see you" to let others know their work is not in vain and to keep grinding. We've got to stop acting like crabs in a barrel thinking on the philosophy of "If I'm not going to make it, neither are you." We need to start supporting one another and taking our hats off to one another instead of putting others down, acting out of jealousy and hate.

I know that I'm no big time blogger, and that I don't have a large following, but who's to say that I can't take a post out of my week to recognize someone? I don't know about anyone else, but I know in my endeavors, it would make me smile if someone were to send a random kudos, so that's what I'm going to do for others. I'm going to begin a series for young people going after their dreams, it shall be entitled "The Underestimated 20's". I'll feature a successful "20 something" weekly, focusing on their specific grind.

Stay tuned next week for the first feature! If you would like to be featured, or if you know of someone that you think would be an ideal candidate for "The Underestimated 20's" please email me at mscurlykay@gmail.com.

With love,

xoxo Curly Kay


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

A Glimpse in the Past